(1) Data Engineer – BI [February 2021 – Now]
Employer: Glovo, Barcelona, Spain
Developing and managing Data Pipelines to help data analysts and data scientists with their data requirements
(2) Big Data Researcher [March 2019 – January 2021]
Employer: Eurecat, Barcelona, Spain
Working on many research and industrial projects involving Big Data and Machine learning technologies. These technologies include Spark, Airflow, Python, Jupyter, Tensorflow, Jenkins,Kafka, ElasticSearch, Stream processing, etc.
(3) Doctorate Researcher [March 2015 – February 2019]
Employer: Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
Advisor: Alberto Abelló and Oscar Romero
Large scale data analysis is an important activity in many organizations and it is typically carried out using data-intensive workflows. Such workflows generate large intermediate results which are reusable. Materialization of these results guarantees good performance. Current solutions use a single fixed storage layout to store the intermediate results. However, the same fixed layout is not optimal in all situations. Thus, a wise selection of the layout according to the workload can give the best overall performance. In this thesis, we are working on the selection of storage layouts for storing the intermediate results by considering the workload.
(4) Research Intern [November 2014 – March 2015]
Employer: IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid, Spain
Advisor: Juan Caballero
I did research on detection of reverse proxies in malicious infrastructure.
(5) Assistant Manager (Technical) – Java Application Developer [February 2012 – September 2014]
Employer: NESCOM, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Actively involved in R&D on the open source Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing solutions that include Cloudstack and Openstack.
- Actively involved in customization of open source Platform as a Service (PaaS) solution for adding auto scalability feature. This feature adds more instances of application as traffic increases.
- Design and development of document search solution using Hadoop (map-reduce) and solr (document indexing API). This project helps to index the terabytes of different type of digital documents using solr Java API and map-reduce. This distributed indexing take less time to search the required document from them.
(6) Research Assistant [September 2009 – February 2012]
Employer: NUST, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Applied Research Areas
- Web application vulnerabilities
- High performance Computing
- Semantic Web and Ontology engineering Development
- Semantic Web Based application firewall using Java as a core technology. [swaf.seecs.edu.pk]
(7) Software Engineer (.NET) [Nov. 2007 – Nov. 2008]
Employer: Relax Solutions, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- Design and development of multi-tier web applications using .NET Framework 2.0, C#, ASP.NET and SQL Server 2005.
- Developed video encoding service. Encoded media files from one format to any desired format.
- Develop media centric applications including http://www.TheVirtualTeacher.com, http://www.FilePop.com, http://www.Ethorities.com etc.
- Developed E Commerce applications like http://www.noobz.ca and developed a web directory http://www.freeornot.com
- Developed mobile websites including CraigsIPhone.com, http://www.UpCloseNews.mobi, http://www.MyTopicTv.mobi, etc.
- Worked on different streaming servers including Adobe, Darwin streaming server.
http://dtim.essi.upc.edu/adbis2019/ [Configuring parallelism for hybrid layouts]
http://dtim.essi.upc.edu:8080/PRESISTANT/resources/index.html [Learning based assistant for data pre-processing]
http://dtim.essi.upc.edu/jrt/ [Journal Response Time]